Friday, September 5, 2008

Correction in "The New Central Economy Planners" post

05 September 2008

MR. JORGE V. ARUTA
OPINION EDITOR
PHILIPPINE DAILY INQUIRER
MAKATI

Dear Editor:

My sincerest thanks to Fr. John J. Carroll, S. J. for calling attention to an inexcusable lapse in my blog on the 26 UP economists’ support for the House reproductive health bill. May I assure him, all the 26 economists and those who had read my piece that no malice was intended.

Not having read the source-document, I had to rely on the PDI report on it of August 14. It quoted the economists as saying “57% of poor Filipino families had nine or more children.”

I had serious doubts about that, and wanted to say so in my blog. Unfortunately, instead of saying “57% of poor Filipino families,” the computer wrote, “57% of Filipino families.” The loss of one word (“poor”) made all the difference, and I didn’t realize it until I read Fr. Carroll’s piece.

There is an explanation for it, but not an excuse. Chesterton once said that “having written it, no power on earth can force me to read it.” It takes someone like Fr. Carroll to remind us we may not even be nearly half as good.

Very sincerely yours,

FRANCISCO S. TATAD

---

Note to readers: The said article has been corrected as of today. The revised version may be viewed here.

No comments: